Riverside Road




GHP were first involved in this project in November 2019 when we supplied a CP to DNV (known as DNV GL at the time) while their team surveyed the integrity of the pipe and supporting structures. Following this survey and approval from Cadent for the repairs, we started in April 2021 and remediation repairs were completed July 2021.


  • Strip out walkway flooring and remove corroded fixings
  • Carry out repairs/replacement of damaged/corroded areas of the bridge
  • Supply and install a wood chocking system with wedges to allow pipe supports to be removed
  • Remove pipe supports from each section, these are in pairs (Approx 10 pairs per section)
  • Reinstall pipe supports using shims, isolation rubber and new fixings
  • Remove wooden chocking system
  • Reinstall walkway flooring using new lindapter brackets and fixings

The pipework was wrapped and the condition of the pipe was unknown prior to stating the job. Refurbishment works were broken down into 5 stages for the 5 bays supporting the pipe. Works were complete within the projected timescales and within budget. Between the above operations being undertaken by G H Preston, Bagnalls shotblast, inspected and painted the gas main and steel bridge structure. G H Preston worked well with Bagnall’s, enabling them to carry out their works and maximise the time they had to work on each section.


If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate in contacting our CLO’s on the contact information below.

Phone: 01322 333921

Alternative Phone: 0800 500 3025

E-mail: SamPreston@ghpreston.com

E-mail: Enquiries@ghpreston.com

Will I need to take time off work?

A. No, our engineers will work around you. As long as you have given your contact details, the engineers will be able to arrange a visit to best suit you; they work evenings and weekends. However if you are free in the weekday, you will have a much better chance of an appointment, which will cause you minimal issues at a later date.

Will the balance on my gas meter be affected?

A. No. The balance you currently have on your gas meter at the point of the meter move will be the same balance shown on the gas meter on reconnection.

Do I need to inform my gas shipper?

A. No. The works will not affect your balance and will not affect the amount of gas you use.

Will I be without gas?

A. This depends on if you have had your work completed prior to the disconnection date. If both appointments have been completed and your meter has been moved to the new system prior to the disconnection, your gas will see no interruption If your meter has NOT been moved to the new system at the point of disconnection then your property will be cut off gas and you will need to arrange for the engineers to come back to your property which may not be immediate as they will have other works to move onto.

What if I haven’t had my meter moved on to the new supply yet?

A. This is why it is important to provide your details at the earliest opportunity. This can be done via phone, letter, text, speaking to CLO, or speaking to the team carrying out the work onsite. You will need to book an appointment with the riser team or meter fitter carrying out the work. Their number can be found on one of the previous letters sent, or you can call the office to arrange an appointment on the below contact details.

I don’t currently use gas but might change my appliances to gas in the future, should I make someone aware of this?

A. Yes. If you don’t currently use gas but might do in the future, you will need to obtain a ‘Meter Point Reference Number.’ We cannot install a gas supply until you have obtained this and we will only be able to leave a valve outside your property for future use. If you obtain an MPRN number while we are still working on the property, we can install a gas supply

I have a gas meter but do not want gas – Do these works need to be completed?

A. This depends on if you are a tenant or property owner. If you own the property, then at your discretion, you can choose to not have the works done. If you are a leaseholder or tenant, the works need to be completed.

Will I be charged for these works

A. No. These works are FOC and there will be no cost to the residents or freeholders.

Do you have permission for these works with the landlords / property agents or council?

A. Yes. Depending on if your building is council owned or managed by a property agent, SGN have agreed with the relevant party that the works can go ahead prior to the residents receiving any notification of works. If you are the freeholder of a property, these works can be refused at your discretion, however the gas supply will be disconnected.

Your contact